Location: Kiah (South), New South Wales

Event: Yowie Sighting

Date: 2016

Time: Afternoon





Hi Dean,


These reports relating to yowie activity are being passed on to you with regards to the wishes of the witness that is now deceased.


I have previously supplied you with the relevant personal details of the witness for confirmation of where the details had originated from.


Although you have my personal particulars I would prefer to remain anonymous as I am only the recipient of the reports.


With respect to the witness, under the circumstances I will just refer to the witness as “Stu”.


Stu was an avid outdoorsman, fisherman, explorer and hunter. He lived in the region of Eden on the far South Coast of NSW.


As a friend of mine for many years he would often share his adventures and stories when we would meet at his house on my visits.


All was going well until on one particular visit I noticed that Stu was not his usual self and seemed evasive and vague when I asked him about his recent adventures in the bush.


Eventually, Stu asked me to listen to what he was about to tell me, and not to question or doubt him in any way.


As Stu was a very straightforward person, and not prone to telling tall tales even jokingly, I just listened intently to what he said.

The thing I noticed immediately was that Stu was extremely serious as he spoke. I could feel the intense mood of his conversation, and his facial expressions and body language left no doubt about the truth of what he was talking about.

Stu said he had seen some unusual things in the bush over the past several months that he couldn’t explain, and related some of these incidents.


The general area of his activities ranged from long distance trekking throughout the South East Forests National Park east of Bombala NSW and all the way down into the Coopracambra National Park on the Victorian side of the border.

One of his favourite deer hunting regions was closer to where he lived in the Mount Imlay National Park. 


Stu said that one day he was exploring new terrain and was climbing slowly upwards on a steep mountain side, when he glanced a huge brownish coloured shape through a clearing in the forest trees about 100 metres ahead. When he reached the spot where he saw the movement he realised that it could not have been viewed from his original position above the surrounding trees unless the ‘thing’ was over 3 metres tall.

He was totally confused by this dilemma, as he knew it wasn’t a roo, or a cow or wild horse, and had thoughts constantly of the sighting afterwards.


On another occasion Stu visited an isolated sheep property on the Victorian side of the border and dropped in to see an old friend who lived there.

The grazier told Stu that something mysterious was going on with his sheep. Earlier in the year the ewes had dropped lots of lambs and he was happy with the extra stock he had produced.


As the lambs grew bigger and became independent of their mothers, the farmer started to lose full grown sheep all over his property.


He would often find several of the growing lambs following full grown ewes as their own mothers had apparently disappeared.


At first he thought it might be wild dog packs, but had not had any previous trouble with dogs, and the other thing was there was not any dead sheep carcases anywhere to be found. Wild dogs would have left some bones, fleece or some sign of their presence.

The farmer couldn’t understand why only the full grown sheep were disappearing, but not any of the half grown lambs.


Maybe, leaving the lambs to grow to full size was premeditated for whatever was taking the stock so that in time it meant full size sheep were always available, rather than reducing the food potential!


Another thing that was unusual though was that the farmer had found a couple of places where the fence line had been flattened over, and not by any mechanical means.

Stu was just as mystified as his friend the farmer as to what the hell was going on, and this added to the slow build up of ‘unexplained’ things that Stu was experiencing.


Then Stu related a story to me about one of his treks into an area that was not an isolated location, and in fact during the summer months there was a reasonable chance that you would meet other bushwalkers in the area.


Stu had parked his vehicle and was preparing his back pack and gear for a couple of days hunting and fishing when a couple came hurrying along the track towards him. He greeted them as they arrived and asked where they had come from.

It was apparent as they spoke that they were in a hurry to be out of there, and they actually looked in great fear.


They explained that they had trekked into an area that had an old tin cabin built long ago for stockmen to use, but long ago abandoned for such use. They got to the cabin the afternoon before, and as it was raining they decided to camp inside the cabin. After they set up their bedrolls, they had a meal and turned in about 10 pm.


All was fine until just before dawn when they could hear loud crashing steps walking around the cabin outside. By the loud sound they knew it was not a small animal, and thought it might have been a wild brumby.


They did not investigate the noise and decided to wait and listen. Then out of the blue came a scream that virtually lifted them off the floor.


They were immediately petrified and froze where they were. Then the screaming continued again as whatever it was circled the old tin cabin. Slowly, the noise and screaming at different pitches seemed to be further away, and as the first faint daylight appeared the couple decided to grab their gear and make a run for it. As they departed they could still hear some screaming further away and this encouraged them to make haste in their escape. The words the woman said to Stu with absolute fear in her eyes was “That scream .... I think, would kill you if you were face to face with what made it”.


Stu listened to the somewhat frantic and garbled story from the couple, then offered them a ride to where they had left their car approximately three kilometres away as they did not have a 4x4 to attempt the closer drive in.


Stu did not return to the area, and decided to go fishing to a popular spot, but instead of camping out he felt quite unsettled and returned home that evening.


Over the next few months Stu continued to go deep into the bush. Something had changed though with his thinking about certain instances.


Several times Stu would enter an area and he felt the presence of danger. Often the background sounds in the bush, and bird calls would not be there. Absolute silence. Scary silence. The feeling of being watched would send chills up his spine as if he were about to be preyed upon.


Stu became more aware of his surroundings, and if he entered a particular forest glen, or was fishing at a riverbank and the ‘scary’ feeling came upon him he would move away immediately.


There would be times when Stu would be hiking steadily when he would not only sense, but actually hear something tailing him or flanking him.


The mountains and bush were not the same anymore for Stu, and it culminated in what happened next.


Stu was an avid hunter, and as he liked smoking his own venison he would often stalk wild deer. Sometimes, Stu would hunt deer much closer to civilisation than would be suitable with a rifle, therefore he would hunt with a compound hunting bow and big game arrows.


On this occasion, Stu was testing out a new bow and headed of into the Mount Imlay area. Seeing several deer while moving through the forest was of no benefit as they were very shy and wary.


Towards the afternoon, Stu made a decision to stop and observe from an ambush site hoping that he would have some deer come down to the grassy meadow clearing that ran beside a creek with fresh water.

Waiting for some time, and watching the sun start to cast long shadows across the area Stu knew that he would be walking back out of the region in darkness, particularly if he bagged a deer and would need to cut up any fresh venison to carry out.


Sitting quietly on a small ridge about 100 metres back from the creek with good observation over the area, there came a sound off to his left from a huge grove of immensely thick young gumtree saplings around 2 to 4 metres high. The sound startled Stu, and he saw the tops of the saplings swaying violently with some trees obviously being smashed down.


Whatever it was that was moving through these immature small gums was powerful, and very fast!


There was no evidence of any animal noises, only the crashing of the trees. At first Stu thought that it must have been a wild bull as this was what might be logical taking into consideration the force and speed of the commotion.


A totally unexpected scenario had materialised for Stu. Then as the intense crashing of the trees increased, several kangaroos exploded out of the grove of gums and came straight at Stu’s hiding position.


The swiftly moving animals sped past Stu on either side not stopping or bothering to change direction. Whatever was causing the carnage inside the grove was of more concern than a human.


Stu was absolutely astonished. He was actually looking around for a decent tree to climb if the imaginary ‘wild bull’ appeared and charged him.


A hunting bow could bring down a small deer, but not a feral bull!


While all this confusion reigned, and Stu was preparing for the next step to take, Stu suddenly saw what he describes as a “Massive, long black hair covered, tall, monstrous being about 10-12 feet high”. Stu said it appeared from behind the far end of the gumtree grove near the creek walking like a human, yet moving faster than any man could run by taking steps estimated at around 8-10 feet in length. It actually casually brushed aside some branches of a couple of the high trees along the creek bank with one hand. The other hand had a big grey kangaroo by the neck dangling from its grip as it walked along.


As Stu watched in awe, too shocked to comprehend what was happening, the creature glanced in his direction and for an instant Stu knew that if this thing came at him he would surely die.


But, the creature soon after turned away and crossed the creek, and as it did it flicked the dead kangaroo up over its right shoulder and was out of sight within a few seconds.

Stu was now not acting in control. Panic set in, and survival was his only thought.

Believing that the creature could reappear, or that there might be others in the area, Stu fled.

He did not take the easy animal tracks along the creek which eventually led back to an unused fire trail, but just headed in the general direction of East! Stu was oblivious to the hard going at first, his priority was to reach safety ..... the highway ..... traffic. Anything where he could find safety.


It’s about three hours walk into this area from the location of Kiah, south of Eden, and this is where Stu was headed.


After about an hour and a half it was completely dark. Stu had torch lights in his hunting back pack and made slow headway trying to find clear walkway through the bush.

All the time Stu was terrified during this ordeal. Never knowing if he would be hunted down by this massive creature. Carrying his bow and with an arrow at the ready while using a torch, and trying to keep heading east by watching the stars for guidance was more than a nightmare.


Every noise from animals that he disturbed or falling branches in the darkness increased Stu’s terror on that run for survival.

Eventually Stu reached an adjoining fire trail that led to the fire trail that joined a dirt track to the Princes Highway. Safe at last!


I won’t discuss the immediate and ongoing trauma that beset Stu over the following days, weeks and months.


I won’t talk about what Stu told me in despair of what it’s like to need help for his health that deteriorated rapidly to the  point of no return ..... and death that eventually followed.


Where does one go with this kind of experience with terror? Where does one go to find someone who will believe your story?


There is much I will not discuss or say about some very confidential things that Stu entrusted me with about his plight.


But I have passed on his wish to warn people that there are things in the wild mountains and rugged bush (and perhaps even closer to populated areas) that could potentially harm you outright ..... or affect you to the point of death through anxiety, disbelief, fear and depression, just like my friend Stu.


Stu warned me to be careful of the areas high up on mountains. Also, of walking the bush at night with torch light. Stu also stopped wearing bright coloured ‘hunter’s safety clothing’ as he felt it attracted great danger!



CLICK HERE for full AYR Witness Interview





© Copyright AYR
Australian Yowie Research - Data Base