Queanbeyan Age

August 7th, 1903








To the Editor:


SIR, -- I send you an account of what took place when some strange animal came very close to where my brothers and I were  camped many years ago. Upon this occasion we were out in Pearces Creek (a small stream between the Tidbinbilla Mountain sand the Cottor River) in search of cattle. In the nearly part of the day we came upon the remains of a cow of ours.


We recognised this beast by the head, as the blacks would only take the tongues out. That the blacks had speared and roasted was evidenced by their stone oven which was close by. We searched the creek during the day, and having seen no indications of cattle being there, we decided to return to where the cow had been killed, and camp there for the night, as it was a good place for the safekeeping of our horses.


The weather was very hot and dry; it was in the month of March, there was no moon, none of us had a match. We had supper as usual, and laydown.


Sometime during the night, I think it must have been late, I awoke (the others were asleep) and I heard a noise similar to what an entire horse makes. I heard it again and awoke the others. We heard it some four or five times, and the noise ceased, but we could hear it walking along on the opposite side of the range, and when in a line with our camp, we could hear it coming down in our direction.


As it came along we could hear its heavy breathing. About this time the dogs became terrified and crouched against us for protection. On account of a fallen tree being on the side the thing was coming, it had to come on one side or the other to get to where we were. My brother Joseph was on the lower side of this tree, I was on the upper side and my brother William in the centre. Not many seconds passed before Joseph sang out, - here the thing is - and fired a small pistol he carried at it.


Neither William nor myself, coming to the scrub got a sight of it. Joe says it was like a blackfellow with a blanket on him. We did not hear it going away. We then tried to set our dogs after it, thinking they might find out where the thing went, but we could not get them to move.


Had this thing been a little later in coming we could have seen what it was, as the day began to dawn in less than a quarter of an hour after Joe fired at it.


Yours etc.,


Woodstock, Uriarra.  


P.S. -- Having interviewed Henry Williams in re the animal he saw the blacks kill, he pointed out to Mr. J. McDonald and myself the height he (Williams) was at the time, and, we considered he would be from 10 to 12 years old. The locality where the blacks killed it was below the junction of the Yass River with the Murrumbidgee.


The animal got into some cliffs of rocks, and the blacks got torches to find out where it was hidden and then killed it with their nullah-nullahs. There was a great many blacks at the killing, and he saw two dragging it down the hill by its legs.

It was like a blackman, but covered with grey hair.










© Copyright AYR
Australian Yowie Research - Data Base